A fashion and lifestyle magazine and blog produced by Students in the Design and Merchandising program at Drexel University

Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Judging Day Diary



















The fashion show is barely a week away, and I am loving every second of it. For this post I thought I would give you a backstage look into judging from a personal standpoint through my eyes.

Fashion Show judging swarmed the Nesbitt Lobby this past Thursday. All of Nesbitt lobby / Chapman Court was curtained off for dressing areas to get the models dressed and ready to walk in front of a panel of 10 judges all looking to give awards to the best designer in several different categories ranging from best menswear, most creative collection, most sale-able collection, best jewelry and so much more. To give you an idea of how hard the D&M’s worked on Judging from set up to clean up...my feet and legs were sore the next day...and I run all the time.

With that being said, it really is the best kind of exhaustion when you feel so accomplished afterward. It was buzzing chaos from the start; from bringing the rolling racks down from the 5th floor, to organizing them in a spatially effective manner, to making sure each designer gave the dressers instructions to getting the child models into their outfits and lined up on time (oy vey), it was like a massive flashback to working on the school plays in high school and being backstage an hour before "showtime" is called, except a million times more incredible. After we worked out one or two or three or four glitches, there were moments when we worked like a well-oiled machine; everyone knew where they were supposed to be and what they were supposed to be doing. I was placed right in the middle of this machine. Along with Roberta Gruber I had the perfect position smack dab in between the dressing area and the judging area. While I made sure models lined up, checked that the next collection was ready to go, gave models instructions before they walked and took notes of any comments Roberta had, there was a constant unwavering thought in the back of my head that this is one experience I know I will never forget, and it is something that is sure to dictate how I handle myself in my future career. Judging was a great moment for Fashion Show 2011 as excitement took over and all of our hard work finally started to make a clear shape before our eyes, and all the garments and collections really looked spectacular and unique.

The show is this Saturday June 4th at the Urban Outfitters Headquarters in the Philadelphia Naval Yard, I PROMISE you don’t want to miss it!!!!

Get tickets online Drexel.edu/westphal or in the Nesbitt Lobby everyday in between 12pm and 2pm (Tuesday in creese)

Like us on facebook Drexel Fashion Show 2011
Follow us on Twitter @dufashion2011

No comments:

Post a Comment