A fashion and lifestyle magazine and blog produced by Students in the Design and Merchandising program at Drexel University

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Discovering Food Heaven


When my sister casually text messaged me, “So I got two free tickets to the NYC Wine and Food Fest on Sunday, do you want to go?”

I nearly had my first heart attack at the young age of 22 (this was before I had the bite-sized duck confit with poached quail egg sandwich!) We arrived at our new Mecca, Pier 57 on W.15th Street and 11th Avenue, at around 12PM and could not have anticipated what the next four hours had in store.

Upon entry, we were given a wine glass for the various tastings and a tote bag full of sample-sized food products. It was everything I could have hoped for and more. Table after table of local food vendors and restaurants sprawled across the intimidatingly large warehouse. The many wine, beer, and liquor merchants that were waiting to give us as many free samples as our hearts desired.

Though everything we tasted was delicious, some of the food highlights were as follow: tender pulled pork quesadillas with chipotle barbeque sauce, sharp cheddar, and avocado cream, and creamy chicken liver mousse with flavorful caramelized onions on a toasted crostini. Not being a huge drinker, the alcohol aspect of the event didn’t make as big of an impact on me, however I must say that I did taste a variety of red and white wines ranging from fruity and light to bitter and heavy. The grand tasting was just the appetizer (if you will), leading to the main course: a cooking demonstration by Bobby Flay. For 30 minutes my sister and I sat in our food coma stupor watching Flay perfectly prepare a Thanksgiving meal complete with turkey, mascarpone mashed potatoes, and marinated carrots. As I sit here with a bloated stomach two days after the fact, I still have to admit that it was all worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment