A fashion and lifestyle magazine and blog produced by Students in the Design and Merchandising program at Drexel University

Thursday, November 6, 2014

Breaking Black



Barbie pink was never my thing. If anything, I would say my choice of color lived on the complete opposite side of the spectrum. Most tell me it’s not a real color, or that I wear it too much, but I politely disagree. The color black is the best color. Period. You can mix and match it and always look chic and put together, it never contradicts my mood, and it just makes me feel good. After all, lets be real, who wants to throw on a bright pink sweater when their mood is far from bubbly pink? No one. Whether you realize it or not, you’re going to grab the darkest piece in your wardrobe. Regardless if you’re feeling like a Debbie Downer, or you are in the happiest of moods, the color black is for everyone. Despite my personal visual attraction to the color, my roommate thought it was time for me to step outside of my comfort zone, and what better time than on Halloween?


As I stepped into American Apparel, I only had one thing on my mind. I was on a mission to find a black leotard to go help me transform into a ballerina, a slight homage to my younger years when I used to dance. I had two days until Halloween, and this was the only costume I knew I would be able to throw together in a matter of minutes. Thankfully for my roommate, my luck ran dry and there was no leotard in sight. I searched through the American Apparel maze disappointed pondering now what am I going to be? Before I could even begin brainstorming, my roommate pulled out a velvet bright pink dress and held it before my eyes. I starred blankly back at her, feeling disgusted by the fuzzy pink ensemble. Seconds before I could voice my disapproval, her eyes grew wide and she proclaimed YOU’RE GOING TO BE BARBIE. She was so enthusiastic, that I really couldn’t really say no. After all, it’s just Halloween.

My transformation to becoming Barbie began. I bought shiny nude tights to make my legs look plastic, some temporary Barbie tattoos and called it a day. I made my hair as voluminous as anyone with fine hair can make it, threw on some bright pink lipstick and I felt instantly transformed. I was completely out of my comfort zone, pink dress and all. Although it was a great night, I couldn’t wait to get that pink dress off.

Playing dress up for the night had me thinking how much of an impact color has on your emotions and mood. But where do these feelings about certain colors originate? Of course, our feelings about color are deeply rooted in our own experiences. For some, the color yellow could strike up feelings of anxiety, or it could even bring back a sense of nostalgia. A past experience, whether you remember it or not, does impact how you view the colors around you. As for myself, I can’t really say why I dislike the color pink but I know taking a trip down memory lane may confirm my deep disapproval for it. Until then, I am perfectly content staying away from the color, although breaking black was a nice experiment for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment