A fashion and lifestyle magazine and blog produced by Students in the Design and Merchandising program at Drexel University

Thursday, March 12, 2015

It's Fashion...Fashion Film



Fashion film often plays a large role in cultivating the image of a brand. It is most useful today when social media is a huge component of selling merchandise and reaching customers on a global scale. It has become a more cost effective marketing tool for many brands large and small. And has also become another creative outlet for many. The creative films are worth paying attention to, as well.

Fashion film can be very direct or quite abstract. More direct fashion films may be short and appear commercial-like.While others are truly short films designed with an in-house set, wardrobes, accessories and products. The highly regarded brand of Chanel often releases fashion films. They are typically written, directed, and/or shot by Karl Lagerfeld himself. The films are effective in depicting what a Chanel world of luxury looks like. It brings the brand’s fantasy characters to life. A film might show various Chanel girls and demonstrate the standards of the brand and its aspired lifestyle. Fashion films help customers and enthusiast be a part of the brand and its world and ideals. One film I often enjoy watching from Chanel, due to its ornate and lavish depictions is the following:
Fashion films often have the power and purpose to make people buy into their brand and its products. I will never forget my first experience with fashion film. It was the designer shoe house, Tod’s. (Not a bad first time partner, right?) It was a film which featured ballet dancers interpreting the process of creating a hand crafted Tod’s shoe. I was stunned by the sheer beauty of the performance. I was also entranced by the intensity of the music. And not only that I was learning and embracing the Italian pride deeply embedded in both the film and the company. After watching it, I quickly ran to my father’s closet and claimed all his Tod’s shoes, or at least a few pairs he was willing to relinquish! I wanted to be apart of the brand. I was proud of the brand!
The most recent brand I am proud of is Miu Miu. I loved that their fashion film contained social commentary along within its artistically abstract performance. The first, being that it used a made up language. The second, being that the content included the issue of class warfare on a palatable level. And third, IT GAVE LIFE TO IT’S DRESS! I wanted the dress to be my friend as well. I mean, I prefer to relish in my most awesome clothes within the privacy of those who understand it and give it the same appreciation as I do (not just for a flash and space in a tabloid). Check out the video and comment on my post with your reaction to the film.
In our technologically savvy society, it is now time to not only pay attention to the clothes and how the clothes are responding to or disengaging from society, but also what the brand as a whole has to say via its fashion films. The films serve as art and are just as purposeful to the brand as it’s runway shows and campaigns.  

No comments:

Post a Comment