A fashion and lifestyle magazine and blog produced by Students in the Design and Merchandising program at Drexel University

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

PMA Perks

Although I finished my art history electives 2 years ago, there is one thing that motivates me to register for extra electives whenever I can. When you take an art history class, you are granted a little sticker to put on you ID that allows you free access into the Philadelphia Museum of Art. The classes usually include some kind of research paper that requires you to visit the museum. Because it is only a short walk from campus and the admission is free, I try to visit the museum a few times each quarter.

It's easy to incorporate the museum into projects for other classes, like photography. The objectives for photography focus on the design principles, which are also taught in basic design courses, are reinforced through weekly shooting assignments. Volume and contrast are some of the main focuses of the projects, and the art museum is the perfect location for taking pictures.


I always make sure to take a sketch book along with me. If I have a little extra time, I can sketch and keep my drawing skills sharp. As a D&M, drawing skills have been a necessity for many classes, and it is comforting to know that I haven't let what I learned in drawing class slip away. 

During at least one trip to the museum, I snap pictures of potential pieces to write art history papers about, and even if I don't end up choosing one as the main focus, it can work well as a piece to compare it to. What doesn't end up in the final paper is useful for other areas of the course or as inspiration, but they are also pretty nice to look at. 

Marie Laurencin
              Nymph and Hind
             1925
Enrico Donati
              Carnival of Venice
           1946


Paul Klee
Prestidigitator
1927




No comments:

Post a Comment