A fashion and lifestyle magazine and blog produced by Students in the Design and Merchandising program at Drexel University

Monday, February 22, 2010

Out of the Ordinary Coffee Shops



Recently, I went on a search for adorable coffee shops in Philadelphia. I wanted to dig deeper and find less-well-known shops where one can enjoy a cup while getting a different experience. My goal was to find cozy, cute, and delicious shops. I went on the hunt and came up with several places that fulfilled these desires.

The following are not in any specific order, but were totally lovely and worth sharing..

La Colombe
130 S. 19th Street
Located right off of Rittenhouse Square, this chic, Euro-like spot reminded me of a Parisian coffee shop. The service is great, and the place is always filled with a classy, trendy crowd. The prices are affordable, and the experience is always great. It is one of my favorites!
http://www.lacolombe.com/

Academia del Caffe
4 locations!
2400 Market Street (Inside Design Marketplace)
1616 Market Street
1039 Chestnut Street
1 South Penn Square
This small chain is spreading around the city fast! I have visited 2 of the 4 locations - both have a modern, European feel. They are quiet, cute, and perfect to go and enjoy your coffee for as long as you'd like!
http://academiadelcaffe.com/

Naked Chocolate Cafe
1317 Walnut Street
Good food, deserts, and coffee! Oh, and absolutely adorable..Naked Chocolate is such a perfect date spot as well as a cute spot for coffee/treats with friends. It is a boutique cafe right in the middle of the hustle and bustle of the city. Definitely stop by for a hot chocolate during the winter and don't forget a specialty cupcake on the side ;)
http://www.nakedchocolatecafe.com/


Bonte Coffee & Wafflerie
130 S. 17th Street
One of my favorites! Bonte is so so perfect. Bonte offers cafe-style snacks and sandwiches, coffee, and the BEST Belgian sugar waffles ever. When I go, I take my lap top to do homework and stay for as long as I desire.
http://www.mybonte.com/cafe-entry.php

Higher Grounds
631 N. 3rd Street
Lots of tea, espresso, and coffee. Free internet. This is a unique little coffee shop in Northern Liberties. I love this place because it is perfect for relaxing - the space is so peaceful and perfect to chill or get some work done in a quiet place.
http://www.highergroundscafe.com/

1 Shot Coffee
1040 N. 2nd Street
This cute cafe is ultra comfy with great couches and coffee. They have some neat coffees as well as sandwiches. It is located on Liberties Walk in Northern Liberties - a great place to walk around, shop, get dinner, and then coffee! 1 Shot has a great atmosphere and really cool, laid back people/employees. Definitely check it out if you're in the area.
http://1shotcoffee.com/

These are just a few of the cafes I enjoyed during my search. I will continue to journey around the city and see what else I can find - they are there, you just have to look past the ordinary.

No comments:

Post a Comment