A fashion and lifestyle magazine and blog produced by Students in the Design and Merchandising program at Drexel University

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Inspiration Takes Us to Wonderful Places

The production process of the 2011 Drexel Fashion Show has been kicked into high gear this past week, and pre-selection is less than two weeks away. As the student director of this year’s show, I have been watching even more fashion shows online than I usually do. In fact sometimes I even block out a half hour of my night in favor of watching a few shows, especially from Fall Fashion Week 2011. From New York, Miami, Paris and Milan, I have been on Fashion Show overload. I find that once I start watching a few shows, I look up an hour later and realize I just inhaled about 15 shows from the comfort of my own couch. To kick off my weekly posts during the production of this year’s Drexel Fashion Show, I thought I would share with you my favorite shows of the season. A big piece of what interests me about these shows is the incredibly unique inspirations behind them, touching upon different cultures and different generations.

To give you a little preview of the inspirations behind the collections walking the runway at this year's Drexel Fashion Show: expect to explore the art of origami, take a walk in Japan and Cambodia, get a henna tattoo in Morocco, and listen to the smooth sounds of Miles Davis...


Proenza Schouler: most people who know me are well aware of my obsession with these guys, and this collection was my favorite so far, the fabrics, colors, and silhouettes were all perfectly executed...not to mention the shoes.

Inspiration: Native American blankets











































Tommy Hilfiger: Hilfiger is usually too classic-American-sportswear for my taste, but this year’s fall collection was irresistibly cool, including the Runway itself.

Inspiration: Girlfriends of 1970’s Rock Stars









































Oscar De La Renta: Always beautiful, this season’s collection explored color, layers, fur, classic lines, vibrant prints all in one, cohesive breathtaking collection.

Inspiration: Uzbekistan meets Vegas (only De La Renta could make this combo work)







































All images courtesy of www.Vogue.com

See the full shows at www.Elletv.elle.com


No comments:

Post a Comment