A fashion and lifestyle magazine and blog produced by Students in the Design and Merchandising program at Drexel University

Monday, January 21, 2013

Consciously Curated Design


Consciously Curated Design
by Naomi Izen

                                                       Rock Soap, $20 each                 Hui Hui Scarf, $280

I’m not a shopper. That sounds like the start to a funny joke, since I am a design major and have been in love with fashion and interiors since I can remember. Seriously though, I do not like to shop. I find consumerism leads to excessiveness and eventually much waste, which our environment is not equipped to deal with. We are overusing our resources and we need to consciously think about the goods that we buy and where and how they are made. Many people my age tell me they are sick of hearing about the eco-chic trend. I’d like to inform them that this is not a trend, rather a necessity for all companies who produce and manufacture goods. A paradigm shift needs to occur if we want to keep producing at the rate we are producing and consuming at the rate we are consuming.
             Luckily, there are many stores, online as well as brick and mortar stores that feel a strong calling towards being a partner with nature instead of a destroyer of it. My favorite of these eco-chic boutiques is the online store, Beklina. Founded in 2006, it was the first ever online green boutique. According to Beklina they focus on, “emphasizing USA made, well crafted heirloom wares with sustainable ideals.” With a highly curated collection of clothing, jewelry, accessories, shoes and home goods, Beklina is host to artistry and sustainability in all areas of one’s lifestyle. Beklina has a strong desire to promote lesser-known designers who are not only creating but also changing the way that people view design and consumption. 
If I were to spend my precious dollars, I would want to spend it at a store like Beklina, where design and sustainability go hand in hand and where words like fair-trade and organic are not just thrown around aimlessly but rather knowledgably celebrated. Check out Beklina here, educate yourself about your consumption habits and when you do shop, shop smart and shop consciously.


No comments:

Post a Comment