A fashion and lifestyle magazine and blog produced by Students in the Design and Merchandising program at Drexel University

Monday, January 28, 2013

Don’t Neglect the Animals, Save a Life



During Fall term I decided to foster a cat, never having owned a cat before I was a bit nervous to be the primary caregiver for one but I figured I would give it a try, fostering is not a longtime commitment. So, I drove to the PSPCA on East Erie Avenue and waited to meet the cats able to be fostered.  Entering the PSPCA with the mindset this would strictly be a foster cat, I wanted to get an older one, set in his/her ways and easy to take care of.  The first cat they handed to me was a 6 week old kitten. OY! No way, I would never be able to bring the cat back after a few weeks.  The next they handed me was a very skinny, shy tan domestic cat named Clementine.  She is 13 years old and over the summer she and about 30 others were rescued from a hoarders house.  I figured she would be perfect because she seemed to do her own thing and just need a loving home for a little bit. It was an instant connection and I knew Clementine was the perfect match. Over the winter break, Clementine lived at my aunt and uncle’s house down the street from my parents, I visited her everyday and realized I would not be able to give her back. Against all my previous thoughts, on January 18, I adopted Clementine. She is officially mine and I could not be happier.

Having a pet in college is not the easiest of tasks, always worrying about feeding them, caring for them and just being responsible for another mammal.  At the end of the day, a pet is the best medicine for a college students stress and anxiety. And knowing that you are saving an animals life is the best feeling.  As I started to get involved with the PSPCA, I realized how many college students are fostering dogs and cats - it’s not permanent and the reward affects both parties. The PSPCA told me that college students are the best candidates for fostering animals, they are full of love, have awkward free time and looking to somehow make a difference in the world. Most animals are available to foster because they are not medically or socially ready to permanently enter a home, for example, my Clementine had an ear infection and an upper respiratory infection, she was still under close care of the veterinarian. Fostering an animal is simple and rewarding, food is provided, healthcare is provided and an extra space in the PSPCA opens for another animal to be rescued. Most of the animals up for fostering just need a little TLC, many have been abused and neglected, they need a little pick me up and a warm home and of course, to be reminded that there are people in the world who care about them.

So, if you’re feeling generous and want to give back to the community and save a life, foster a pet.  A foster can last anywhere from two weeks to three months and if you fall in love, like I did, you could save a life and find a friendly companion.  And lets be honest, who doesn’t want to have a pet to play with for a few weeks?

By Emily Farrara

No comments:

Post a Comment