A fashion and lifestyle magazine and blog produced by Students in the Design and Merchandising program at Drexel University

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Your nails don't have to feel the economy!

I'm as broke as the next college student, but I still love little luxuries. One thing I can't live without is manicures. I like to keep my nails long and polished. With the cold weather approaching it's even more important to take care of your hands. Unfortunately, this is a luxury I can't always afford - but I have perfected the D.I.Y. manicure.

Here's how I do it:

1. Remove.

all old polish (even clear) with a non-acetone remover. This is important to get a smooth, glossy finish. Non-acetone is also less harsh on the nails and won't weaken them.

2. File.

nails in one direction. Whether you like straight or rounded, start at the edges, and move towards the center.

3. Soak.
your hands in warm, soapy water. I use a ceramic bowl because it keeps the water warmer for longer. For an extra touch, pamper your hands with a warm washcloth, just like at the salon. Dampen cloth and heat in the microwave for 20 seconds.
4.
Dab.
on cuticle cream at the base of nails. Use an orange stick to push back the cuticles, but leave the cutting to the professionals. One wrong move with the clippers and you can cause damage or infection to the nail.
5.
Rub.
lotion over hands. Use your washcloth to wipe nails of excess lotion so oils don't interfere with polish.
6.
Apply.
a base coat. I always use one with a strengthener so the manicure lasts longer and breaks or hangnails don't happen. My favorite is Sally Hansen Diamond Strength
available at CVS. Let dry completely so color goes on evenly.
7. Paint.
nails with color. Two coats is best. Three even strokes from the base to the top to cover nails completely. Hot nail colors for Fall: opaque gray or sapphire blue. Try Give me the Moon! or Light my Sapphire by OPI. Apply a quick drying top coat. For screw-ups with color keep a remover pen handy.

Sit still for at least 15 minutes to avoid the dreaded nail smudge.

Lucky for the iPhone addicted, texting is wet-nail friendly.



No comments:

Post a Comment