A fashion and lifestyle magazine and blog produced by Students in the Design and Merchandising program at Drexel University

Monday, January 13, 2014

Child-like or Hot Trend?

I spend my down time when I'm not doing homework working at Guess on Walnut St as a part-time employee. About two to three months ago, I walked into the store and saw they had some new casual tees with animals printed on the front, like fox heads, cheetah heads and even people with animal heads. One particularly stood out to me, the shirt with a person dressed in a tux had his head replaced with the face of a deer, antlers and all. I didn't think anything of them other than I thought they were ugly and that Guess really missed the mark on them. 

Then I heard that surprise hit song "What Does the Fox Say?" and watched the video, which is full of extras dressed up at a party but their faces are missing, replaced with various animal heads instead. Some of the shirts looked eerily similar to the scenes in the music video, with bodies dressed up with animal heads, sitting, standing, dancing and enjoying themselves at a party. It was a weird deja-vu moment for me, and I had that same moment again while reading an article about the fashion of 2013, which Style.com called The Year in Deer (and other Animals).

Givenchy, Miu Miu, and even Diane Von Furstenburg had joined in on the animal print craze this year, featuring clothes at their runway shows with both prints and large graphics of animals all over. The Givenchy sweatshirt to the right have a collage feel, with the picture of Bambi interacting with the distorted photo of a woman half hidden. So many more designers featured animals in their collections and street style was not immune to the craze wither. All over blogs were photos of people wearing jackets, shirts and sweatshirts with animal graphics. 

Everyone in the fashion world seems to be hyped up about wearing animals, from high priced designers to easily accessible brands. My first thought is is is, well, why? I used to wear animals on my shirt as a kid, but I've gladly left those days behind. Am I missing something that everyone else sees in this trend? Have we as a culture become so obsessed with animals that we want to wear them now too? Or is it just luck that animals, both in the media and fashion, have hit a high popularity point at the same time?

No comments:

Post a Comment